Thursday 19 March 2009

Getty Images Invite


Like many other Flickr users I allowed Getty to look at my images. Today I got an invite to submit 11 images. Great feeling and a wee boost to my motivation, which, as you could gather was flagging a bit. I haven't done anything about the invite yet but you start to wonder if this is killing the profession of photography. If Getty can get so many images I assume cheaper than paying pro/semi-pro photographers, then is this not destroying the income of photographers? Maybe the 21st century world needs such a range of images there is room for us all. Newspaper and TV stations often request images from the public and do the public get paid? It's like downloading music for free (legally or illegally) - it will eventually kill the music industry.
Having said all that, don't we all get a thrill from the thought that your pictures might be good enough for Getty? Or do I fool myself?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations - I know what you mean though, but how wonderful to have been asked!